Hey everyone! Welcome back! Today we’ll be seeing and debunking 6 myths that you’ve probably heard from your parents at least once. So let’s get into it!
1. Chewing gum stays in your stomach for a long time (years)Turns out that this is in fact not true! Most of the chewing gums aren’t digestible and travel out of the body and system in a matter of days.
2. You should wait for 30 – 60 minutes after eating before going swimming.This myth isn’t true either because a normal meal wouldn’t cause any cramps, although you shouldn’t overeat before swimming.
3. We only use 10% of our brainThis is in fact not true and is possibly used to motivate people to do better.
4. Reading in the dark damages your eyesThis is something most people would hear when they stayed up at night under the blanket and used a flashlight to read a book. Turns out, that this myth is also false! Reading in such a way wouldn’t damage your eyes but it might strain them.
5. If you swallow a watermelon seed, a watermelon plant will grow in your stomachThis is a hilarious myth that most of us probably believed!! The truth is that our digestive system isn’t a favorable place for the seeds to grow so they’re probably going to be out of your system within no time.
6. If you sit too close to the TV, your eyes are going to get ruinedThis is another myth that we wish that we should have known earlier. Sitting too close to the TV can cause your eyes to strain but it doesn’t cause any chronic conditions. Studies have also shown that kids can focus up close without eye strain better than adults.
Thanks for reading and let me know in the comments which myths you’ve heard and which (if any) you’ve believed to be true till now! Also let me know which myths you want me to debunk in the next part!
Byee, stay safe!